Nomad Log 1
Welcome to Nomad’s Log where I post smaller, more concise blogs about my daily life.
Thursday, late afternoon, after I learned the disappointing news I did not get the high school English Teacher position at a very great school. The Holy Spirit led me to perform a simple, yet effective exercise to remind me of all the great deeds and miracles God performed on my behalf. These acts of goodness range from achievements and accolades to God meeting my continual emotional and physical needs and acts of deliverance from stressful, dangerous situations.
Also, to especially recognize and thank God for the “quiet” blessings, I take for granted and assume I will have the next morning. God is the Sovereign King and Eternal Ruler. God is never inclined to do anything He does not want to do. This is a great exercise to fight and resist self pity and depression.
Take a sheet of paper or create a new document and identify ten blessings in your life reflecting God’s never ending goodness and love towards you. The key is to be specific. Use the guiding questions below to generate clearer responses.
- What is the blessing? What happened?
- Explain how did this blessing, this achievement, and/or deliverance affect your life or continual affects your life?
- How has this blessing changed your relationships with others? How did this blessing change the way you see yourself?
- How did this blessing affect and strengthen your relationship with God?
I phrased all of my blessings with “Thank you Lord God for…”, so when I prayed I could read the list and praises would flow from my lips.
Below are the ten blessings I take for granted and am thankful for and if you come up with more than ten, then that is perfectly fine.
- Thank you Lord God for my family. You have blessed me with a loving, Christian family bent on supporting, helping, and encouraging each other in our time of need. Thank you that my family is not abusive and I grew up with morals and principles based upon your Word.
- Thank you Lord God for the group of supporters, encouragers, and women you have surrounded me with. Women of different experiences, backgrounds, and education who selflessly love me past my faults and insecurities. They have given me sound advice, encouragement, and prayer, when I needed it and I was able to have like minded relationships with other women who are Christians.
- Thank you Lord God for my church family. My church family has brought many great spiritual lessons, timely and joyous conversations, life longed relationships and opportunities. Through their prayers and affection I fought and overcame many trials and have grown in unexpected ways. This church teaches based upon your Word, so I can tell a difference between the truth and a lie.
- Thank you Lord God for the continual protection over the Spring Residence. We’re the only black people in our neighborhood and my family could have been lynched or we could have been racially profiled. But you, God have kept your shroud of protection over us.
- Thank you Lord God for the assortment of great gifts and milestones I have had due to your grace and patience. Graduating from Cass Tech, winning scholarships, getting into the education program, graduating from Michigan State, having the privilege to teach at a good school. There are many milestones I have experienced to testify I serve a Mighty Great God and that God has paved my way with success and honor.
- Thank you Lord God for delivering me from dangerous situations, messes of my own making and toxic relationships. Thank you from having my internship unfairly ended, to ending bad, romantic relationships. You know what is best for me.
- Thank you Lord God for my recovered health. God has blessed me to recover from COVID 19. He healed me and brought me back when so many people died from the illness. Help me to live my life in honor of Your grace.
- Thank you Lord God for all my talents and gifts. I am highly talented thanks to His gracious blessings and I should be focused on developing those talents and skills to be of service to your kingdom and glory.
- Thank you Lord God for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. You made me with intent and purpose. I was made in the image of God and I have a head full of hair and I am a fierce African American woman.
- Thank you Lord God for sending your Son Jesus Christ who paid the ultimate price. Through Jesus Christ death, burial, and resurrection I have eternal life. I have a new life. I am a new person. The old Tory used to complain, fall into self pity. The new Tory, places her hope in God for this is where my salvation dwells.
When you are finished compiling your list sitback and meditate on these milestones and the scriptures below. Be amazed at the timeline of promises and gifts God has weaved throughout your life. Humble yourself that you are where you are, not because you or I are great people, but because we’re sinners saved by grace.
Read this list in a prayer to God and rest Your mind on the praises of His Word.
Isaiah 25:11: “Lord, you are my God; I will exalt you and praise your name, for in perfect faithfulness you have done wonderful things, things planned long ago.”
Psalms 150:61: “Let everything that has breath praise the Lord. Praise the Lord.”
Colossians 3:16: “Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts.”
Be at peace and be at joy! Share your lists and upload a picture!
Copyright © 2020 by A Meeting at the Well